Please read this Policy carefully before sharing information with us so you understand our practices regarding your information. By using our website, communicating with us, becoming a member of RISpace, or registering to receive information from us, you agree to the terms of this Policy.
Personal Information We May Collect About You
Under our Policy, “personal information” is any information that identifies or can be used to contact a particular individual. With exceptions, the personal information that we typically collect from you is limited to the information that can be found on a business card—name, address, email address, and telephone number. The types of personal information we may collect and process about you can be grouped as follows:
- Identity information – first name, last name, member username and password for website member portal.
- Contact information – physical address, email address, and telephone number.
- Financial data – payment card details and donation or payment information.
- Transactional data – details about events you have attended or participated in, inquiries you have made, orders you have placed, and payments or donations received from you.
- Subscription, marketing, and communications information – details regarding newsletters you have subscribed to, requests for information received from you, and information on your marketing or communication preferences.
- Contest and survey information – details regarding contests you participated in or survey responses you provided.
We may collect this information when you join RISpace as a member, make a donation, sign up to receive emails or other publications, become a RISpace volunteer, participate in a poll or survey, send a letter to the U.S. Congress, make a purchase through our affiliated webstore, communicate with us, create a member profile on our website, or otherwise directly provide the information to us (such as by submitting a query on our website).
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use these types of information to perform our contracts or agreements with you, to comply with our legal obligations, as necessary for our legitimate interests, or pursuant to your consent. Specifically, we use this information to:
- Fulfill your subscriptions to RISpace or other newsletters;
- Provide you with information or services that you request from us, including information about our activities and events that you have requested;
- Administer user profiles and accounts in our Member and User Center;
- Optimize your experience on our website and ensure that our content is presented to you in the most effective manner;
- Conduct surveys and polls and to process your responses to such surveys and polls;
- Invite you to become a member of our organization or support our work with a charitable gift;
- Notify you about changes to our website or any services we offer;
- Communicate with you by e-mail, postal mail, or telephone about our mission, activities, opportunities, and other issues that may be of relevance to you; and
- Perform other functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise consent to.
Other Information We Collect From You
Like most major websites, we use the following technologies to automatically collect certain additional information about you.
- IP Address or Device Identifier. When you visit our website, we collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access our website or, if you connect through a mobile device, your mobile device identifier. We may use these identifiers to collect information about the length of time spent on our website or the specific areas visited.
- Web beacons and other technologies. Our website may use other tracking tools, including web beacons, which are small electronic images embedded in web content and email messages that are not ordinarily visible to users. Web beacons allow us to track pages and content accessed and viewed by users, as well as to monitor email readership. We also contract with service providers to place RISpace advertisements on Facebook and other social media applications. We use pixels to track visitors and to serve ads for RISpace. You may be able to opt out of pixels by adjusting your browser’s cookie settings but you can adjust cookie consent options on our website to not accept marketing cookies when you visit from the E.U.
The information collected through these technologies may be combined with personal information or aggregated with other information on website visits. We may share information about your use of our website with our social media, advertising, and analytics partners, who may combine it with other information that you have provided to them or that they have collected from your use of their services.
Disclosure of Your Information
When the information we collect is aggregated, anonymized, or otherwise does not identify you, we may use that information for any purpose or share it with our trusted marketing providers and third parties to the extent permitted by applicable law.
In addition, we may share information that we collect or that you provide in the following circumstances:
- With trusted service providers, contractors, and suppliers that we use to support our business under a contractual relationship to assist our programs and operations. For example, we frequently use a vendor to mail information to members in the United States and, in the course of doing so, may share personal information with the vendor necessary to complete the mailing. Likewise, from time to time, we utilize a vendor to run contests or sweepstakes and might share certain personal information regarding the participants with the vendor;
- With our payment card processor in order to process membership donations, purchases, or other payments;
- With our with our marketing providers in order to assist us with online advertising and the creation of advertising content;
- With a buyer or other successor prior to or in the event of a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as a part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, where the information is among the assets being transferred; and
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
We reserve the right to disclose your information as necessary to comply with a subpoena or similar investigative demand, court order, request for cooperation from law enforcement or other governmental agency, to exercise our legal rights, to defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law.
Protection of Your Information
We take appropriate administrative, technical, and physical measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. For example, we limit access to personal information to ensure that it is only accessible by relevant staff, volunteers, or contractors. Our online forms are encrypted and our network is protected and routinely monitored. If you use a payment card to join us or make a donation, we pass your payment card information securely to our payment processing partners. We do not store your payment card information for future use.
Please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warranty the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
Further, members are responsible for safeguarding the confidentiality of their account information, including the username and password to access the membership portal and individual member profiles. Please do not to share such account information or passwords with anyone and remember to log out when you are not using our website to prevent unauthorized access.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Our website contains links to several third-party websites. These websites have separate privacy policies that you should review. While we make efforts to choose the links on our website carefully, we cannot take responsibility for the content of linked websites or those companies’ data-handling practices.
RISpace is headquartered in the United States and, as a result, information you provide to us will reside on servers in the United States. If your information was collected outside the United States, it may be necessary to transfer your information to the United States for processing in order to provide you with requested products and services. You understand and consent that information you provide may be sent to and processed by us in the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be the same as the data protection laws in your home country. Further, in appropriate circumstances, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission to protect your personal information. Please contact us at [email protected] if you want further information on the mechanisms used when transferring your personal data out of the country where it was collected.
Data Storage and Retention
We keep your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill your requests or the purposes for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) for as long as we have an ongoing relationship with you, (ii) as required by a legal obligation to which we are subject, and (iii) as necessary to comply with legal obligations.